Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Moments after the birth

After Emma was born she only used oxygen briefly.  She began to breath room air much sooner than most preemies.  She was so tiny that Will's wedding ring fit around her foot and hung on her ankle.  Will and I began reading to her and touching her as much as they would let us.  Knowing our voices and feeling our touch early on were very important to her and us.  We read Charlot's Webb to her every day.  The nurses and doctors all loved Emma and always commented on what a  beautiful baby she was.  Our doctor was one of the nicest, most attentive doctors I have ever met.  He was always honest and straight forward about all things.  Gods presence was always apparent.  The nurses were also very sweet.  Will and I took turns with the boys at home and then with Emma at the hospital. 

Emma grew perfectly and with no problems.  The doctor was amazed at her progress.  Will and I knew that Emma was covered in prayer all day every day so we began to pray over other babies in the NICU.  It is our belief that in every situation God provides for us the opportunity to minister to others.  We made some dear friends and met many people along this journey. 

One story sticks out in my mind that I would like to share with you.  The second day of Emma's life I was in hospital still and a woman asked the nurses if she could talk with me.  This woman did not give a name, however she had a powerful story to share.  Last year at this exact time she gave birth to a daughter who was premature and very ill.  The baby did not survive and she was very angry still at God for taking her child.  The pain was almost more than she could bare.  Not loving the Lord and knowing his full power and grace made a difference in how she felt as well.  She was not a christian and did not know about salvation.  I was still very drugged when she came to visit me.  The Holy Spirit was present in my conversation with her that night.  She gave me a dress that she had bought for her baby and wanted Emma to have it.  Through the tears I asked her to have a seat and began to minister with all my heart.  My friends will tell you that when I am passionate about something I can let you have it so to speak.  I am also not very good at filtering what I say therefore I just tell it like it is. 

I thanked her for the gift and we prayed together.  I asked that she be healed both physically and spiritually from the pain her life had caused.  I asked that the Lord provide for her the opportunities to seek him and his love in all that she did.  I told her about the loving family at Park Plaza and how gifted that church was in seeking and saving the lost.  People from all walks of life choosing the same narrow path to find Christ.  She left that night and I never knew her name.  I pray for her everyday and for her healing because of my miracle God sent this woman to hear my story and to believe in him again.  God is powerful when we give him the control.  41 days later and our sweet Emma came home.  Perfect in every way.  Thank you Lord for your everlasting love.

No comments:

Post a Comment