Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Where you come from tells a lot about you.

I grew up in a really small town in West Texas.  I am the oldest of three children.  I have a sister Mindy who is 37 and a  brother Devin who is 30.  My parents are hard working middle class.  I grew up in a very strict home with a lot of rules.  My mom took us to church every Sunday and we were given the choice to attend but strongly encouraged to do so.  My dad believes that there is a God but does not worship him weekly at church.  My parents worked hard to teach us values and respect for people and things.  Family is a big part of our lives and always will be. 

My mom had me when she was very young.  My birth father did not stick around.  My mom never talked bad about him.  In fact she just never talked about him at all.  My mom married Kenneth when I was three.  Kenneth is the only dad I ever knew.  Once they were married he adopted me and had my name changed to Rushing.  I love my parents.  Like all families we had our dysfunction.  My dad drank a lot when I was growing up and never pushed that on us but we saw what happen.  Sometimes it would make him a mean person.  He has since stopped that completely and I am so proud of him.  Life's circumstances are not always what we would choose them to be.  My parents are very much in love and have always shown the value of marriage and what it means by the example they lived.  Both of my parents come from families of seven siblings.  Yes you read it correctly I had 24 aunts and uncles after everyone was married.  Even better than that most of them lived close to us and some even in the same city so holidays were very large.

My sister and I were not very close growing up.  In fact I don't believe we talked for a few years in High School.  The way I remember it is she was a jerk and always getting me in trouble.  I am sure that would not be her version.  We are like night and day in our personalities.  Mindy is so much like my dads family and I am very much like my mothers.  Now that we are adults we get along much better.  My sister has lived a colorful life and mine has been very plain.  I was the athlete, obedient, college, marriage, children girl.  Mindy is the artsy, party, let's try it, still looking for love girl.  Not that I am judging her for any of that, just saying we are different.

My brother is a pain in the butt.  I was already 10 when Devin was born so I did my share in raising him.  I changed diapers, fed, cleaned and put him to sleep a lot.  I loved helping my mom.  I loved my baby brother.  It took Devin a few marriages and lots of time but he is a great dad and husband to his now wife Kendra.  Yep he married a girl with my name.  I know its creepy but what are you going to do.  Devin has three children.  Brylee is 9, Reece is 7 and Kendall is 6.  So that means with my children my parents have grand kids that are 9, 8 Titus, 7, 6, 5 Levi and 4 Emma. 

I love my family with all my heart.  We have had our disagreements just like any family.  At this stage in our lives we just try and keep up.  We take turns traveling to see one another when we can.  My sister lives in Seattle so that makes it hard.  My brother lives in Fort Worth, my parents still live in Sterling city and of course we live in Tulsa, OK.  We make it work for us.  The Lord has really blessed my life with a lot of love.  Sometimes we question those things and then even the smallest of gestures can change our whole perspective.  I want my children to grow up knowing that family will always be there.  Next to God they may be all you have sometimes.  You can make the whole world mad, but family they always forgive.  Whats the saying "Blood is thicker than Water".  I think the Lord smiles down on us when he sees how forgiving we can be with family.  Even more important I think its the forgetting that really pleases him.  Take time to call your family, take time to pray for your family, take time to spend time with your family and always thank God that you have them.  There is always someone, somewhere who doesn't have any family, take time to invite them into yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment